Archive for the ‘los angeles’ Category
It’s again been too long since the last update. If anyone has a good way to keep yourself disciplined on writing regular posts, please comment and let me know the secret.
I’m going to keep this one personal, then write another with tech stuff. Abby and I are adjusting to life in LA nicely. Lots of restaurants to explore as always, and our new favorite game: Spot the celebrity! I’m ahead in the standings due to an uncanny ability to pick up the subtle clues they give off.
Most recently, I spotted Jane Lynch (40 Year Old Virgin) at Urth Caffe with courtney. Abby has recently started to do well, spotting Cassidy Lehrman (Sarah Gold, Entourage) at the Santa Monica pier, and Ben McKenzie (Ryan Atwood, The OC) at Stardust last night.
Hopefully we don’t seem vapid and fame-obsessed, but this is LA, where this happens quite a bit. Think of it like a post-modern Slug Bug.
As always, Fog, our muse around the house, has provided much entertainment. Since I’ve begun working at home, we’ve started to get on a routine: Feed her, play a little, she sleeps for 4 hours, we play more, watch some TV, sleep a bit more, feed again, repeat. It’s tough being a Felis domesticus.
Update: I have evidence
Abby, Fog and I have finally arrived in LA.
- We arrived on Sunday in the car with Fog, to find that I’d forgotten to have the power company turn the power on. So our first night was in the dark (kind of fun actually).
- Monday we unpacked the car, ran some errands, not much
- Tuesday, the furniture arrived! Movers were awesome. As Abby has been saying, “The best $3k we’ve ever spent.” Took them about 2.5 hours to move everything from the trunk in. Only thing broken so far is one drinking glass.
- Since then we’ve been unpacking A LOT. We’ve got a ton of stuff and probably wont be fully unpacked for another week. We’ve got to get some more organizational units to put stuff in too. We downsized our stuff on the Seattle side, but we’ve still got a ton.
- Finally today, Time Warner installed the cable. Got the HD DVR (which is pretty sweet so far), and the fastest internet (10 Mb/s down, 1 Mb/s up!)
We’ve been walking a lot, which is a little strange for LA, but is exactly what we’d hoped we’d be doing. The neighborhood is great, lots of kids and people out and about. Walking down the the side streets, it almost seems like you’re in an idyllic suburb. Birds chirping, kids playing in the yard, sunny and 76 degrees.
Abby has posted photos of the move. The ones at the beginning or in seattle, then the drive down, finally, in LA.
As some have heard, my wife Abby and I are leaving Seattle for sunny and 74 degrees Los Angeles, CA.
The move has been in the works for a while (about 6 months) and the time has finally come. The movers have already picked up everything this morning, and Abby, Fog (our cat), and I are driving down to LA starting Saturday morning.
Why? is a pretty common question. Here’s a few reasons:
- We both went to USC, so we’ve lived in LA before. We’ve still got a lot of friends there, so it will be fun to be able to hang out with them again.
- My recent employment by Engine Yard allows me to work from anywhere, so I’m untethered in that regard. Abby is going into TV production, and LA is the place for that. So our professional lives has facilitated this move.
- Unlike a lot of people, we actually like LA. Probably because we both lived there during our formative years, the culture and pace of life is a lot of fun. We’ve huge movie buffs, and LA is a great town for that. Being able to go sit on the beach and actually swim in the ocean is a plus too.
On a generic moving note, I’m so ready to be done moving. Having movers has made it SO much easier, but it’s still a major pain. I wonder how much it is to just have people show up at your house, pack and move everything while you go on vacation… As bourgeois that sounds, I can really see the appeal.
A note to all my seattle friends: You’ve been amazing friends, and you are all welcome down in LA anytime (but call first).