evan.musing << current

life and tech stuff by Evan Phoenix

The Ruby Community Rocks

with 12 comments

The last time we checked in, I was delivering the bad news about having to let a bunch of my team go. I received a lot of kind words of encouragement during the hard time, which I want to thank everyone for.

In addition to kind words, a number of people stepped up and indicated they had positions available that my newly unemployed friends would be great fits for.

One such offer was from Daniel Yoder and Charles Hornberger at AT&T Interactive in the R&D department, the makers of the yellowpages.com. I’m extremely happy to announce that Eero Saynatkari (rue on IRC) has recently been hired by them and even given time to continue work on Rubinius!

This development makes me so happy. To see the community pull together in a tough time and even continue to make an external investment in Rubinius.

Thanks again guys! You’re what make me love being a Rubyist.

About these ads

Written by evanphx

December 9, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Posted in community, rubinius, ruby

12 Responses

1. Awesome news, Eero. On both counts. Congrats, and thanks to the Ruby community as well. We’re in this together; perhaps cheesy sounding, but true.

Brian

December 9, 2008 at 1:31 pm

2. Hi Evan,

Thanks for the .. thanks. :) Although we are always looking for talented folks like Eero, so I should be thanking you for referring us to him.

A quick point of clarification: the division we are part of is AT&T Interactive. Eero will be working with our R&D group within AT&T/i, which is sort of a Web 2.0 counterpart to the legendary Bell Labs.

We are really excited about this and about supporting the Rubinius project going forward.

Regards,
    Dan

Dan Yoder

December 9, 2008 at 1:37 pm

3. Dan,

I’ve fixed that in the post. Thanks!

evanphx

December 9, 2008 at 1:49 pm

4. I also have some positions open, and wanted to see if the remaining folks were interested. Can you put us in touch?

Andrew

December 9, 2008 at 3:46 pm

• I’ll pass your email on.

evanphx

December 9, 2008 at 3:50 pm

5. Very cool, glad to hear it worked out for all considered.

Damien McKenna

December 9, 2008 at 6:44 pm

6. Great news. Good to know things are settling down again for the team.

Aditya

December 10, 2008 at 12:45 am

7. I am very happy to hear so. I hope you enjoy your new place of work and continue to provide to the ruby community.

Suits

December 10, 2008 at 12:53 am

8. I’m very glad to hear it. If any of the remaining people are looking for a position, we’re looking for a top-notch Ruby hacker at Devver.net. There are more details at devver.net/jobs.

Ben

December 10, 2008 at 8:53 am

9. These are awesome news! Congrats to Eero for the new gig, and thanks to AT&T/i for the Rubinius support :-)

Mathieu Martin

December 12, 2008 at 7:12 am

10. Congrats Eero! And awesome news for the community. Feels weird to say it, but kudos to AT&T!

Ilya Grigorik

December 12, 2008 at 3:10 pm

11. Hi everyone –

My apologies for posting this comment here, I tried to google Evan’s email address, but couldn’t find it.

I’m trying to find Evan Phoenix’s email address so I can include a reference to rubinius’s software transactional memory (STM) work.

I am a PhD student researching STM and am currently writing a paper to survey STM work in numerous languages, one being Ruby.

My email address is: justin@nodeka.com.

If anyone knows Evan’s email address, I’d greatly appreciate it. Or, Evan, if you happen to read this, I’d like to talk to you via email regarding the current state, future timeline and perhaps a citable reference for the STM work for rubinius.

Best Regards,